Saturday, October 4, 2008

Potty Training

I don't want to jinx this, but I'm getting more serious about potty training, starting with B.
I put a portable DVD player on the edge of the bathtub, and let B. sit on the potty watching it. Yesterday he peed twice, and today even had a poop! I have to admit, only one of these events actually ended up going into the potty. But it was all very, very close to the toilet, and I'm seeing that as a big step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of life at our house, I end up leaving him alone sometimes, and when I return, things are not always good. I'll spare you the details, but I will say that the DVD player may not smell as nice as it once did.

I'm trying to tell myself that even if this is one of those blips of progress that disappears again for months, it means that someday this really will happen.

3 comments:

Niksmom said...

Good luck!! Good idea w/the DVD player...um, except for the part where it doesn't smell quite as nice. LOL

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I just left a load of tips that worked for me at another blog, weird.
1 Waterproof mattress, not sheet but mattress! Life saver!
2 Cheap pants just bin them!
3 Piddle pad, it goes onto prams or car seats and is washable and waterproof.
4 Peeing on the floor is better than peeing in a nappy, only way to learn!
5 We done day training first, then when my partner was away on work I removed nappies at bed time9if I am on my own I am less stressed)
6 Blue food dye down loo plus erm "yellow" will make green ("yellow" plus red dye makes orange!!) from the book1001 ideas for teaching an raising children with asd. Not tried it though..
7 Just use the toilet, I think going from potty to toilet would be starting at the beginning for a child with asd.

Toilet training sucks, I was to scared to leave the house for about a year well after he had the hang of it! But once he actually wet himself in public the embarassement went. I never had the erm "dirty dvd player" stage whilst training so good luck and IT WILL HAPPEN!!

burgiboogie said...

I do not envy you two at once! I will send you good potty vibes...!!!