Sunday, April 22, 2007

Something about the bathtub

My boys can all still fit in our large bathtub together. Once we add the plastic animals and the foam alphabet letters, it's gettting to be a close squeeze, but they can do it. The boys all manage to get along in there, even with J. lying down and flopping around in order to be the "big, white seal" (a favorite from our last aquarium visit).

The twins always perk up once they hit the water. In the living room they may have had the million-mile stare, especially if any music has been playing (I am in a quandary about playing CD's for them, because if they like the music they stop playing, interacting and sometimes stop moving at all, often for the duration of the CD) In the warm water of the tub, on the other hand, their faces brighten, they babble, they play with animals or splash around.

The best part comes after ten or fifteen minutes, when one or the other will come up to the edge of the tub, look right into my eyes and laugh with me. G. has even taken to giving me kisses. B. will grab on to my hair or my shirt, and just smile right at me.

5 comments:

KAL said...

That's great! We have the same sort of communication explosion in the tub, which is why I let them linger long after I probably should. The funniest part afterwards is how they both study their wrinkled fingers.

Steve said...

Ain't it the truth... while my boys don't always manage to get along in the tub, water has always been a sanctuary for my autistic son.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

I love those sweet little kisses too. Gabe still gives those to me on occasion. If he is not in the mood he will turn and present his cheek :o)

The tub is such a great place to play. Boo and Gabe play so wonderfully together in there with all the toys and bubbles. It is a tight fit for them and we only have two!

Kristin

Maddy said...

Only two in the bath!
Best wishes

Anonymous said...

There IS something about being in the water for kids on the spectrum. TJ has 3 other kids the same age in his ASD classroom. They go swimming at the YMCA 9 times a year during school. TJ's teacher invited me along once. They play in a shallow pool where the kids can all touch bottom. One of TJ's classmates either ignores me, or gives me a very strange look if I happen to be in the classroom. He usually never says hi or responds to my attempts to engage him in any sort of interaction. But when I went swimming with them, this little boy was so interactive with me! Pooring water on my head, chasing me around the pool, racing boats across the pool with me, teasing me - very reciprical interactions. It was very exciting to see! Of course, on the bus it was back to strange looks.

I don't know if it is the sensory experience that helps their brains organize everything better, but it seems to be a very good environment to work on play and interaction skills. It is very good therapy for spectrum kids!