Sunday, September 9, 2007

Our First Rodeo

Being that I've lived in Texas for seven years (could this be true??) it is strange that I had never been to a rodeo. Never until yesterday, that is, when the whole family attended the Baytown Special Rodeo.

This rodeo was special in the way that the Special Olympics are special, and also in every other way. I had hired a babysitter to come with us, so the twins wouldn't be stuck in the stroller. But when we picked up our packets (which included cowboy hats, bandana and sheriff's badges), they introduced us to our "Rodeo Buddies". Each child had a buddy assigned to him or her, so that the parents could relax and have fun. What a great idea!

B. was fine with his buddy, but G. was terrified by his. So Rob, a ninth grade boy scout, followed me around, and pretty much talked my ear off. After about twenty minutes of knock-knock jokes, and verbatim routines from sit-coms, I was starting to get a feeling about Rob. Then, out of the blue he said to me, "Have you heard of Asberger's Syndrome?" He claimed to be "five-percent Asbergers". He was really a great kid, but struck me more like a sixth grader. He spent the entire time with us, and was really as helpful as the kids would allow him to be.

The best moments:

B. running in circles in front of the Elvis Impersonator as he performed.

G. walking right up to someone in an Elsie the Cow costume, and having a brief interaction. He even said, "bye-bye".

J. using his free camera to record the whole event. I hope some of his pictures turn out!

We had such a good time, and I'm so grateful to all those hard-working volunteers (especially our "rodeo buddies)

6 comments:

kristen spina said...

Sounds like a great event! Glad to hear it went well.

Angela said...

Sounds nice. I like the buddy idea

Maddy said...

Excellent! I'd hang on to that young man, he could come in handy for other trips.
Best wishes

Niksmom said...

Sounds like a good time for all. Well, ok, maybe not so much for you *at first* with your little 9th grade chatterer. But I bet he was sweet! Can't wait to see pictures!

mumkeepingsane said...

That sounds fantastic! Yay for buddies.

burgiboogie said...

Wow, sounds like a great event! While in TX right?