Saturday, September 27, 2008

Disaster Fatigue

"Disaster Fatigue" was a headline in the Austin paper while we were still there. People around here definitely have it.

The biggest problem for me right now is that every big intersection is a four-way stop (all the traffic lights were blown down). Very gradually, the lights are being fixed, but after days of making our way tentatively through four-way stop after four-way stop, Houston drivers are confused, and I think every one of us has stopped at a green light, or driven ahead at a red light. They even mentioned the phenomenon on the news.

I feel as if I could find some analogy for life with autism in this, if I had had more sleep. Or maybe not! If traffic lights are the biggest problem, things must be improving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, First time to your site - saw your comment on The Voyage - who I read regularly. I just perused your journaling on Ike. I have relatives in Houston, same stories as yours (except for the kid parts).

I think you have something with that idea of useful products (over fix-it stuff).

I'm writing a series of posts on the sensory techniques purported to help children with autism. I hope you will come by for a visit. Barbara